Food Is Medicine
September 8, 2017
Food is medicine. Food heals. Food regulates your moods, your sleep, and your health. Stress and aging can be regulated by what you eat. Listed below are just six ways you can eat your way to better health.
- Eat breakfast. Eating breakfast increases your metabolism which helps keep your weight down and helps with your mood swings.
- Add more omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. Research shows omega-3’s help with anxiety, stress, and depression. Eat as much fish, nuts, and other foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Some examples include salmon, mackerel, walnuts, and tuna. You can also take omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
- Increase your vitamin B6 intake. Vitamin B6 increases the serotonin in your body. Serotonin calms and heals the body. Make sure you eat bananas, tuna, turkey, salmon, rice, sweet potatoes, or sunflower seeds.
- Buy more blueberries. Blueberries should be called “brain berries” or “youth berries” because they are great for the brain. These berries help grow neurons and help them communicate as well.
- Eat more tomatoes. Tomatoes have a very important nutrient: lycopene. Lycopene helps reduce the risk of cancer heart disease.
- Add more broccoli to your diet. Adding bite-size broccoli bits to your salad or having steamed broccoli for dinner can do your body a world of good. Broccoli has nutrients that reduce cancer risk and heart disease and boosts the immune system.
Tags: food is medicine, healthy eating, mindful living, mindfulness, reduce stress